Sunday, September 26, 2010

Kaffe

Like in most places, coffee is a national pastime here.  I read somewhere that Swedes drink more coffee than any other nationality.  It is probably true.  Surprising to me, you don't usually buy coffee beans, but just the pre-packed grounds.  And only hipsters grind their own beans.
Katharina and I like to frequent a coffee shop that was by the hotel I stayed in for a few days.  I don't remember the name.  The baristas are snobby and cute.  And they make me feel stupid for having a terrible Swedish accent.  Also, they always ask strange questions that I am never prepared for - so I have to ask them to repeat themselves in English.  Today they asked if I wanted to pay for refills.  I didn't understand and thought refills were included, but apparently you are on the honor system and if you want a refill you pay for it upfront.
Katharina is a German version of a girl I know back in the States.  I hope neither girl takes offense to that comparison.  They both are very nice.



Kathi has the coolest Dutch bike I've eve seen.  Also she is standing in front of a sci-fi shop.  If you look closely you can see Darth Vader in the windows.
In Malmö - like Copenhagen and Amsterdam- the city bike is king.  I am a total bike snob and really dislike riding them even though they are made for this climate.  Fenders, chain-guard, kickstand, up-right position.  it all goes against all my common sense of riding.  Luckily I have found a hipster doofus bike that has none of those, and I'm an idiot for being excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment