Friday, May 13, 2011

I've got the dust of the desert in my bones

The Iberian Peninsula is the opposite of it's Scandinavian counterpart.  When asked why we came to Sweden, we (sarcastically) name the good weather, friendly people and cheap food.  In Spain, those three selling points hold true.
Future antiquity 
Although I don't like to admit it, I thought Barcelona was a shitty city.  Everyone I have ever spoke with sings hymns of praise for this city.  If you like Americans shoving bar flyers in your face, bums pushing fake cocaine, expensive tapas and agressive nigerian hookers then I can't recommend Barcelona enough.  Otherwise, get over it.
 In all honesty, the place was alright.  Agreeable weather, nice people and pretty architecture.  But the hype never lives up to your expectations.  Also, the party hostel might have given me airborne chlamydia because I developed some respiratory problems the second night.  Nothing some sangria and salted meat couldn't cure (pun intended).








 I truly believe that travel broadens your horizons and helps to place things in perspective.  You face awkward moments and uncomfortable situations.  But there comes a point when it is no longer about experiencing it for yourself, but for the obligation you feel - for the story that you will subsequently tell others.  It is a fine line.







Tied soccer match resulted in a crazy street party.

No comments:

Post a Comment