Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Like a click of the metronome I turn, I turn

When I told Joel about our Arctic plans, he gave me some advice. "Don't go."  He mentioned how the train service up there is spotty and unreliable.  We should give ourselves extra time for travel.  He was right.  The tracks from Kiruna to Narvik were buried by three consecutive avalanches and were out of service for the foreseeable future.
I buckled up for this bus ride.
Some ridiculous sense of pride drove our decision to keep moving North and catch a bus to Abisko, a small town halfway between Kiruna and Narvik.  This turned out to be the best decision of the trip.
Abisko station - closed for 50 years
Abisko exists as a tourist trap.  I don't quite understand what the locals would do for work other than lead dog sledding expeditions.  We managed to snag a few beds at the "dog hostel" after deciding the resort was too expensive.  Also a pretty good decision.
I am pretty sure that we are not welcome back at the Dog Hostel considering our evening of mild rabble rousing with a few French students resulted in a stern scolding from our host.  Regardless, the sauna was nice.




I points I wondered if the beauty of the scenery was somewhat lost considering where I grew up.  But when we walked across a frozen lake and saw two different shades of extremely blue sky I was thoroughly impressed.


Change your latitude.  

Come at me bro. 


Although I didn't admit it at the time, the shortcut through the trees was probably a bad idea.  But what turned our cc ski session into more of a snow hike was pretty fun.  After we made it back on the trail that is.
My mother would be proud at how quickly I took to the cross country skis after more than 10 years of not having them strapped to my feet.  The next time I am in SW Colorado during winter, I promise I will ski with you.



Well eared meal 
 

1 comment: