Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What do you do when love gets you nowhere, it gets you nothing?

After arriving home from the gym and peeling off the layers of sweaty clothing, I unzipped my messenger bag and inspected the random things that I carry with me on a daily basis.  I realized that I get very attached to meaningless shit.  Here is a short list of things that I cherish and would kill for.
1.) Chrome Messenger Bag: These bags have thoroughly saturated the cycling market much like a drunk frat boy saturates his floor mattress with his own piss.  Malmö hipsters seem to have resisted the temptation lay down serious SEK for these cycle accessories which are still made in the USA.  It has taken me a few years to finally break it in.  Fits perfect.
2.) Track Pants:  When I was eighteen I moved away to college and started to seriously lift weights with my room mate, Manpower.  After a few embarrassing gym sessions in a pair of skimpy running shorts I decided to invest in a cheap pair of track pants.  I have probably worn them 300 days a year for over 8 years.  I have no intention of retiring them anytime soon.
3.) Misfits Hat:  This hat was given to me as birthday present from my brother.  This hat is fucking awesome.  If you don't agree, go set yourself on fire.  Last week I wrecked my bike incredibly hard (if my parents are reading this, I happened to land on a pile of extremely well placed fluffy pillows).  I managed to avoid any broken bones, but while I was sliding along the pavement on my belly like a penguin, my hat flew off.  It took me several minutes to find it in the dark.  The whole time my mind was swimming with thoughts of was how shitty my life would be if I lost it.  Seriously, I would be more upset if I lost that damn hat than if my grandmother died (we were never very close).
4.) Random note written by a friend:  Makes me smile on occasion.
The things we carry.

3 comments: