Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cut me to ribbons

Best of 2010 (approximately)!
I realize this is about three weeks late.  So what?

Top movies I saw in 2010:

1.) Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In).
No this movie was not made in 2010 - get over it.  In an attempt to hear the language as much as possible, I committed to watching several Swedish movies during the summer.  Låt den rätte komma in breathes life into a dead genre.  It also shows that love is not some polished, magical experience that only beautiful people can attain.  Fucked up people (or vampires) can fall in love too.  It is somehow comforting.

2.) How to Train Your Dragon.
I am not even sure I saw this movie in 2010, regardless, it is the best animated film since Transformers the Movie.  If I owned a dragon I would totally train it to shred on a guitar, start a band, and have him breathe fire on you.  Speaking of music, the director totally nailed the soundtrack with the Jónsi song during the credits.

3.) True Grit
I am including this movie now because I will forget about it by next year.  If I was a U.S. marshal, you could hire me to murder someone.          

Top Albums in 2010

1.) The Flatliners - "Cavalcade"
Although not as good as The Great Awake, I love this album.  It makes alcoholism, living on the road, and generally hating everyone seem glamourous.  It is the antithesis of posi-core, straight-edge bullshit hardcore.  That crap was soooo 2009.

2.) Russian Circles - "Station"
Despite disliking this album initially, Station became my soundtrack for my life when words lost meaning.  I still listen to this when I get up before dawn and ride my bike to the gym.

3.)  Gaslight Anthem - "American Slang"
I am embarrassed to like this album.  After convincing Roland to wait in line for two hours to get tickets to this show that I wasn't very excited about, I felt guilty.  Luckily the show was great (Chuck Ragan helped) and this album is catcher than swine flu.

Best of Sweden
1.)  Ahlgren's Bilar
I've become addicted to these damn stale flavorless sugar bombs.  The best Swedish candy ever.

2.) Ribersborg Kallbadhus
Entry fee 50 kr
locker rental 10 kr
Looking at another man's junk in a really hot room and then jumping into freezing water naked - priceless

3.) Riding my bike everywhere
nuff said.

Stuff I Miss
1.) Sunshine
2.) Mexican Food
3.) A few people.

2 comments:

  1. Ahlgren's Bilar - Their logo looks like some kind of creepy dong with wheels. If the candy looks like that, there's no way it's going anywhere near my mouth.

    ReplyDelete