Saturday, January 22, 2011

The world is too much with us

When I was younger I attended an ELOB high school.  While the school did not accelerate my academic achievements, it opened my eyes to the world around me (which is more than I can say for the majority of public high schools).  I happened to take a poetry class my senior year.  The class was taught by a retired teacher who simply volunteered at the school.  Her name was Susie and she was incredible.  During the class I wrote a poem that happened to get published in some national poetry magazine.  I never received a copy of the magazine, but I later found it online.
This semester, my second at "graduate" school, I stumbled across an article that mentioned William Wordsworth.  Now I feel comfortable enough to admit that the published poem I wrote almost 10 years ago was basically plagiarizing The World is Too Much With Us.  At the time I wondered why no one noticed, but now I realize that most writers lift, borrow, and straight up steal ideas from others.  Zombie Wordsworth should be proud.

Captain Nemo
Fever Ray - always watching
 Earlier today I watched a very large ship execute and extremely tight turn in the harbor outside the library.  I was very impressed.
Someone told me that you can buy passage on cargo ships to various destinations.  I feel stupid for being intrigued by such an idea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment