Friday, January 14, 2011

Stolen bikes ride faster.


I have only ever crossed the Öresund twice in daylight.  Not that you have a particularly nice view from a train that travels underneath a bridge.  Apparently the drive across the bridge is fantastic - 70€ fantastic.  Regardless, it was nice to get out of the country for 6 hours or so. 
Danish section 8
 It is surprising what a little color can do for a drab building.  My dad discovered Google street view a few months ago.  He commented how utilitarian the streets of Malmö looked (I think he used much more colorful phrases but I can't remember them off the top of my head).  Copenhagen uses the basics of visual stimulation to convince you that you do not live in Birmingham during the industrial revolution.    







I forgot how much I like Grade's "Under the Radar"
I did manage to hit up a pretty hip(ster) bike shop along the main shopping district.  I've been looking for a specific bike part ever since I got here and haven't been able to find it.  Although at this point, I'm not sure it is worth the effort.  But Justin and I did check out some rad bikes.  Copenhagen sports some of the cleanest rides I've seen in europe.  I don't understand how they keep the rust off them.  Fuck, maybe they buy a new one every season.  Although not very sustainable, something that I could get behind. 



Also, for some strange reason, I felt drawn to witness the train wreck of Christiania.  Basically a bunch of hippies got together in the 70's, took over an old army barracks just outside of the city and created a commune.  They didn't pay taxes, sold drugs freely and established the hippie "dream" of a separatist community that is close enough to a city to satisfy all the needs that they couldn't provide on their own.  Although the community has now been forced to pay taxes and selling drugs is technically illegal, I don't think all that much has changed in the last 40 years.  But a place where photography is apparently forbidden seems like a worthwhile detour.  Christiania would be awesome when I was 15.  I could go their to escape the "oppressive regime" of my parents, buy some hash and generally waste my days away.  Now, in my mid twenties, Christiania reminded me of some shitty permanent carnival where, instead of selling lemonade and funnel cake, they sold hash along pusher street.  Not very impressive.  Although, come to think of it, I bet a funnel cake stand next to the hash stand would be a very lucrative business venture.    

Nyhaven
After a several mile stroll through the city we happened to walk through an old castle that is now home to some type of military complex.  The public is welcome to visit it, but you must be on your best behavior.  A rule that is enforced by several armed Danish military personnel.  
Thor's kitchen cabinet 

The National Museum was the destination of the day.  After struggling to find the entrance, enduring a Danish middle school tour group, and laughing at some dude's hilariously loud farts in a very quiet room, I attempted to ascertain the sweet fruit that is Scandinavia's rich history.   













A few things I've learned:
  • The majority of Danish prehistory involved fabricating flint into various useful tools.  It is even portrayed on currency. See figure 1. 
  • The museum has several cases of plain rocks that they claim to be axe heads.  We'll see about that.
  • People were really tiny around 2000 B.C.E.  Seriously.  
  • Älg means both elk and moose in Swedish (and presumably Danish).  Confusing.  
  • Those rad horns are used for drinking mead, not for trumpeting to the gods in Valhalla.  A childhood misconception was shattered today.   
  • Swords are pretty neat.
  • Danish sounds like someone attempting to speak Swedish with hot food in their mouth.  

    Figure 1. Flint dagger on 100 kr note.  Source: Author

    2 comments:

    1. I read the Wikipedia article on Christiania. I've never heard of the place until today. Seems like it's basically the entire city of Boulder. Disappointing to learn there are hippies outside of the US.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love you two so much it is painful...

      ReplyDelete