Friday, October 29, 2010

Sworn to the dark

Words cannot begin to describe the spectacle that is good black metal.  As promised, I brought a camera to document (with blurry photos) the fact that I indeed saw Watain in all their glory.  Aside from a Gwar show I have never seen so many props on stage.
Initially not many people were there, which worried me.  Sweden couldn't possible disappoint me with a poor turnout on a friday night for a black metal show.  But, thankfully, the place filled up as the opening acts trudged on.  Finally, after Destroyer 666's set was cut short because their drummer broke both(!) bass drum heads they began to set up Watain's circus.  It took 45 minutes.
If you look closely, you can see hogs heads on pikes.

Basically the whole stage was set on fire in various ways.  There were large pitchforks that were somehow attached to a gas source spouting flames the whole time.  Candles burned in every conceivable place (including the eye sockets of rotting hogs heads).  And there was a burning alter with a goat's skull   to pray to.
The guitarist looked like kind diamond

 The set started with a ceremonial baptismal of each band member, and a few brave (or stupid) metal dudes with blood.  It smelled like a butcher shop the whole time.  Watain opened with the only song I am familiar with.  Then it was nothing but the darkest, most unforgiving brutality known to man.









Notice the 6" nails on the bass players gauntlet
About halfway through the band lit two large urns of kerosene.  I checked to make sure where my nearest fire exit was and continued to bang my head.  They ended with a venom cover.  Pretty fitting.  I would recommend never attending an event such as this.  The strobe light gave me seizures, the burning crosses coated my nostrils with soot and 90 minutes of blast beats gave me a heart palpitation.  Pretty neat.  

3 comments:

  1. Whoa, that's awesome! I hope they have that much crap when I see them next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw Watain last night. They were awesome, but you definitely got the cooler show. No fire at all, just severed animal heads and stench. No Venom cover either! What song did they play?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I couldn't tell if the stench was from the crowd or the severed pig heads. They played In League with Satan as the last song. 10 X better than Venom's version.

    ReplyDelete